Crush and be crushed...

May 27, 2010

For Moms:

Do you remember your first crush? Or even your second or third? We all have those special memories that consumed us what ever the age. It took over our whole life and every waking moment was devoted to that person (even if they never knew we existed)!

Now that I'm older and I reflect back on these precious moments, I wonder what my mom must have been thinking during this time? She always kept her thoughts private unless I asked for advice. It's as if she knew I was "feeling deeply" and she let me be. She never said, "Oh it's just a stupid crush" or "Your so young you don't know what love is"... I needed that at the time and even now looking back I'm thankful for the space and understanding she gave me.

I can only hope that my children feel as deeply and have those same feelings of love, longing and loss - Each encounter is so very special, and we must remember that without them we are not who we are today. So lift up your daughters when they're consumed by love and loss - and remember the times you felt the same.

Teach your daughters to hold all their "first loves" and special crushes close to their hearts. I still hold on tight to mine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment